Silverliner History 1954 - Present
...three remarkable former flight attendants met in New York in 1954 to talk about their "flying days." Word was sent out and former Eastern Air Lines flight attendants who were interested in retaining old friendships, gaining new ones, and raising monies for charitable purposes were invited to meet. That meeting resulted in the establishment of one of the most unusual organizations in the world – The Silverliners. It began to grow.
By 1968, four independent Silverliner chapters - New York, New Jersey, Miami, and Atlanta - came together in Atlanta, GA to become the “National” Silverliners. In 1974, twenty years from that very first meeting, the Mexico chapter was added, and the organization became the “International” Silverliners. At this same time, membership was opened to current flight attendants as well as former flight attendants.
The international organization established an International Charity Fund, The Hole In The Wall Gang Camp. Through this commitment, over $100,000 has been raised for the camp, funding a new cabin plus needed resources for other purchases. Chapters individually hosted and coordinated a Fantasy Flight to the North Pole within their communities for challenged children, bringing much happiness and joy to all of their family members. The HUGS Fund was established to assist Silverliner members when faced with health, financial or emotional difficulties. Over the years, chapters and individual members have helped raise thousands of dollars for their own chosen chapter charities and spent thousands of hours helping others by working as volunteers all the while enjoying each other’s company at chapter meetings, International Board Meetings, and International Conventions.
In 2022, the organization will celebrate its 68th anniversary - 68 years of fundraising, fun and friendship. In order to expand our membership, we “rebranded” ourselves as “Silverliners International – founded by Eastern Air Lines Flight Attendants” and welcomed former and current flight attendants from all airlines to join. Silverliners now boast members from over 63 airlines, including charter and corporate flight attendants.
May the future hold recognition of a job well done as well as an acknowledgement that time has not altered intention. We salute the chapters and individuals who continue to excel in community, friendship, and the enthusiasm to continue the tradition started in 1954. And we applaud the unique and special bond that flight attendants share with each other in our proud organization.
If you are a former or current flight attendant and you'd like to join us as we continue to enjoy the comraderie, give back to our communities and relive our years as a Flight Attendant, please send us an email request to [email protected] or through the website Contact Us.
- Jeanne Fitzgerald Smith - 1968-1970
- Beverly Bridgers Bennis* - 1970-1972
- Fay Wolfenbarger Flinchum* - 1972-1974
- JoAnn Kingsley Egan* - 1974-1976
- Billie Gillom Schaeffer * - 1976-1978
- Judy Lockwood Parker - 1978-1980
- Dorothy Gomolak Nouhan - 1980-1982
- Eleanor Johnson Skipsey - 1982-1984
- Audrey Thieme Feller * - 1984-1986
- Lois Jirschele Morton - 1986-1988
- Merrill Anners Oberg - 1988-1990
- Willie Podesta Young -- 1990-1992
- Claudia Tangye Van Veen - 1992-1996
- Margo Hall Salyer * - 1996-2000
- Conni Leaf Kerrigan - 2000-2004
- Kris Karg Ericson-Dibble - 2004-2008
- Marge McCray Robertson - 2008-2012
- Patricia Bennis McLean - 2012 - 2016
- Conni Leaf Kerrigan - 2016-2018
- Pat Heller McBreen - 2018-2019
- Janice Wilgus Henry - 2019-2022
- Kay Yarbrough - 2022-2024